Monday, March 19, 2007

TV!!!!!

I traveled this weekend to a town called Kpando, about an hour from mine, to visit some of the other volunteers. Ghana is really a beautiful country! The ride there was a little scary but incredibly scenic. It was scary due to my increasing claustrophobia while riding in the tro-tro’s here or in the back end of covered pick up trucks. Either way, the maximum of people are squeezed in and my morbid thoughts turn to where in the hell are the emergency exits if needed (mostly there is one way in and out). In addition the drivers here are insane! But luckily, the scenery was so beautiful I was distracted from my fear of death (maybe I being a little overdramatic), as the tro-tro climbed up one of the mountain and the whole valley below and Lake Volta were visible.

While in Kpando I visited this great place where pottery is made and sold by local women. They had a huge storeroom full of beautiful pieces that were really inexpensive compared to pottery back home. For example a large serving bowl with cool African etchings for less than $5! Unfortunately (actually fortunately) I couldn’t really buy anything for fear it would all break on the way home.

So not to get into politics here and not to make anyone mad, but wow a lot of people have some bad impressions of our country do to our current international affairs (though there are many that think positively about the US). Everyone has been really nice to me personally, but I have had to get into some debates about the US much more than I’d like with people from all over.

Another thing has happened here this week. Previously a typical evening in the house in which I live would consist of most of us hanging out on the front porch: auntie preparing things to sell; the kids playing, cleaning, or doing homework; me reading or hanging out; and some of the neighbors hanging out chatting. It is quite nice. But now over the past week, this has all sadly changed! Now everyone (except me) sits inside in the previously unused living room, not talking or interacting, just starting like zombies. Have you guessed the culprit? A television!!!! AHHH! Auntie got a television in the house (I told you, it is like the Ritz) and now it dominates most things (plus they turn the volume up as loud as my Grandma J’s TV)! Oh it is so sad, but how interesting for me to watch the effects of TV and see this drastic transition! I can’t blame them, because that is exactly what I would be doing at home too! But, I refuse to watch it here though, I can’t I’m Africa, it is just too weird! Plus, I’ve really enjoyed getting into the habit of reading and hanging outside with friends in the evenings. I have seen some glimpses of their shows though and the acting reminds me of that daytime soap opera, Passions…..but even worse! I have actually watched the West African Idol show just because it is so crazy that American Idol has expanded this far. Some of the people on the show are really talented, but there is an African version of Ryan Seacrest and all the judges replicate ours.

I have only four weeks left until I return home. Sad and excited all at the same time. I have a lot of work that I want to complete here in the next month with the HIV project. The school session is over for the most part next week, so I will have some more time during the week to spend with the HIV NGO and of course with my kids at the orphanage!

No comments: