Friday, December 26, 2008

Update on Peace and Patience

On Christmas Day my mom, brother, and I called some of our friends in Ghana to wish them a Merry Christmas. We of course have been keeping in close touch with Sister Bernice from the orphanage to stay updated on the children since our return, but usually through email, we don't get to speak on the phone a whole lot. But on Christmas, we spoke to Sister Bernice and two of the children that have remained with her since the orphanage closed, Noble and Patricia. It was wonderful to hear all of their voices and they were very excited to hear from us. Elolo was out of the house with Bernice's mom at the time, so we didn't get to talk to him unfortunately.

I also received a call from Patience and Peace, the two sisters who went to live with the wealthy family in Accra. It seems that, unfortunately, their place in Accra wasn't as good of an opportunity as we all thought. I don't know many details, other than that the family in Accra is sending both Peace and Patience back to Ho to Sister Bernice. After speaking to Sister Bernice, it seems that the family underestimated the time and resources it would take to care for the girls???? Honestly, it all seems very bizarre to me. I am disappointed for the girls and they both said they were sad to be leaving and just two days after Christmas! Nevertheless, Sister Bernice is the fallback person as usual. She will go pick up Peace and Patience tomorrow from Accra and bring them back to her two bedroom house to stay with her and the other three children. While Bernice is very upset with the family, she didn't seem too stressed about the girls coming back to her. She simply told me there was no other choice, they have nowhere else to go, so they will come back with her and she will wait on The Lord to determine what she is to do! I love that lady!

Even though the news from Peace and Patience was disappointing/disturbing, it was so wonderful to talk with them! Even Jeff (Brother Jeff) talked with them both and now I am sure they will never stop asking about him! Jeff asked Peace what she was eating for dinner (rice and stew, I believe) and he told her he was jealous because he was hungry and was still waiting for his dinner, so she told him she would send her food to him through the phone!!! So kind and funny!

No comments: