Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Awoenam

YEA!!!! Awoenam is growing healthy and bigger! Awoenam is the three-year old girl we met on the last trip that had recently been brought to Sister Bernice because of concerns she was not being taken care of properly by her sister. I finally got to see her yesterday and can’t possibly describe the joy! She looks so happy and beautiful and she is talking! Sister Pat, the woman that is caring for her in her house, is such a loving and wonderful, new mom to Awoenam. I have no doubt that she is in great hands. My mom loves Awoenam and developed a very special bond with her last time, so she did some extra shopping for Awoenam and sent many dresses (or as Sister Pat said, the dresses are plenty) with me, as well as the cutest, sun hat, shoes, and baby doll (it even says mama and cries). I again had the great privilege of sharing these items with her and I WISH I had captured on video Awoenam’s response to the doll! She absolutely loves it and won’t let go of it; she is being a very good mommy and giving the baby lots of hugs and kisses! She even fed the baby some of her candy I brought! The dresses my mom sent are adorable and I will hopefully be able to load a pic of her in one of her complete outfits. I was able to learn more about Sister Pat and Awoenam yesterday (I won't lie, I really was questioning why Pat would take in a child...what was in it for her...isn't that awful?). First off, Pat has one son that is 24 and lives in Accra. When I commented that now she has the chance to raise a girl, she responded with ‘thanks to God’s grace.’ She really feels honored to do this and her love and care for Awoenam shows through; I can tell Awoenam loves her too. Awoenam’s mother died and her father either left or also died, leaving Awoenam’s older sister to care for her. Her sister was only in high school and she became pregnant and dropped out of school. Pat and other neighbors noticed that Awoenam was malnourished and not being watched after, so someone came to Bernice for assistance (because of her organization for orphans). Sister Pat offered to take in Awoenam if her sister agreed to register her with Bernice. Pat has a big heart; she also cares for her aunt who has suffered a stroke and cannot walk. Thank God for people like Pat!













Awoenam in one of her outfits from Mama Carol (or as Pat kept referring to her, Big Mama in the US -sorry mom, I know you will hate the sound of that- but I am Little Mama, Sister Pat is Mama, and you're Big Mama =)).









She had some great smiles playing with her baby, but of course I couldn't capture any. Whenever she knew I was taking a pic she would look at the camera very seriously. I kept telling her to smile and show her teeth; her response was to open her mouth wide and 'show me her teeth.' Love it!

She was also very excited about this hat! At one point I took it off because it was in the way. When her neighbor came by, she ran for the hat to put it on and show off!
Here are the new shoes so far:


Wallasy, Elolo, and Sika









Thank you Sister Cassie!

3 comments:

Bitter Old Man said...

Hey Alicia.

Well you seem to be having a blast with the kids. Tell them all a big hello from back in the states. I am so proud of you!

Alicia said...

Jeff? Are you the bitter old man? Funny! Warning: you may be getting a new shirt made from Ghanaian clothe from Sister Bernice. I tried to tell her no repeatedly without being offensive (because I know you won't wear it and she shouldn't be spending money on us), but she is as stubborn as Grandma J was! Not sure is the wife (which is how she refers to Jenny) will be getting anything though....it may require a trip here as well!

Bitter Old Man said...

Yes that would be me. Don't ask me why I just found it funny a while back when Josh had a blog going. Any way that is too sweet of her. I am not sure if I am supposed to know about it but if it is okay that I know please give her a big thank you hug from me. No worries about Jenny she won't be hurt by it. A trip huh? Well one will be planned as soon as funds start rolling in to the Jeff Johnson Fund! Eventually we will for sure. Enjoy the weekend with the kids. See you soon.