Wednesday, November 30, 2011

...you did for me

We leave tomorrow for my fifth and my mom's third trip to Ghana! Wow! We truly are blessed! Thank you to everyone who has supported us with love, prayers, encouragement and donations!

Last week I started reading 'Kisses from Katie.' If any of you know this book, you know I probably really shouldn't be reading it....because it is exactly what I am suppose to read. The book found me and just a few days after buying it (I had never heard of it before but saw it on a table at Barnes and Noble and fought the urge to walk away from it), a friend asked if I had ever read it. Yep, so I'm reading it. It is joyful, but it hurts. Katie makes a really good observation in her book (she went to Uganda in 2007 for the first time to work with orphans, the same time as my first trip to Ghana); it is so good in fact that I am just going to steal it and copy it here. It's about the least of these...like from Matthew 25:40....“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

From Kisses from Katie, by Katie Davis:

'The truth is that there are children like this all over the world, sick, starving, dying, unloved, and uncared for. The truth is that the 143 million orphaned children and the 11 million who starve to death or die from preventable diseases and 8.5 million who work as child slaves, prostitutes, or under other horrific conditions and the 2.3 million who live with HIV add up to 164.8 million needy children. And though at first glance that looks like a big number, 2.1 billion people on this earth claim to be Christians. 

The truth is that if only 8 percent of the Christians would care for one more child, there would not be any statistics left. That is the Truth.'

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ Matthew 25:45.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Alicia!

I hope this finds you celebrating a safe arrival to Africa and the beginning of a wonderful experience! We send our best to you and Carol and all of your friends there!

Cheers to YOU! And, another outstanding year :-)

....a year older than ME, I might add ;-)

- Kristy

The Tucker Troops said...

Hi Alicia and Carol,

I opened my blog for the first time in quite awhile and I was happily surprised to see that you both arrived safely in Africa. I didn't realize you were there. I am praying right now for the rest of your trip.

I love this entry.... Matthew 25:40....one of the verses that really hit home for Ron and I when we started the adoption process with Lucey.

and...Matthew 18:5 "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."

You both look great...

Looking forward to reading more!

Love and Hugs--
Beth