Three weeks wasn't enough time in many ways. 22 days in Ghana and I still couldn't manage to post many updates. To be honest, even when there was time, my mind was in too much of a fog. So here are pictures and updates from this amazing trip.
All the kids were out of school this time, the first in many years, and all came to stay with us at Sister Bernice's house. We ended up with some extra kids as usual so there were a total 26 people staying in this house. It was interesting, fun, trying and crazy at times.
 |
| A creative boy. He made his own drum out of a tin can, paper and a rubber band! |
 |
| Peace and Princilla making colored rubber band bracelets. This was a special 'girls-only' activity and being left out was torture to the boys. We had several knocks at the door and attempts to invade. Afterward, several boys somehow got themselves some of these prizes to wear proudly. |
 |
| My sweet and beautiful Sika. She just won the belt she's wearing during one of our many bingo games that week! |
 |
| This is Sweety. =) She is one of our next door neighbors who is in the yard most days and loves Momma Carol and me. She has two sisters (Blessing and Peace) and two brothers (Shepherd and Wisdom). Wisdom is kind of like Waldo in 'Where is Waldo' because he was everywhere we were but we often didn't know it until he would just appear! |
 |
| Preparing lunch for all these kids. I look very helpful, don't I? |
 |
| Sister Bernice hosted a group of 30+ high school volunteers (from Global Leadership Adventures; they happened to be on my plane on the way there) on day to learn about her history with the kids and helping the community. The group paid for a day of cultural entertainment (drums and dancing) and lunch for local kids; over 100. Here's the dancers warming up. |
 |
| The drummers. |
 |
| My once little Noble is about to enter high school. So proud of him. Currently, he is interested in the medical field. So we arranged for him to help with a medical outreach event one day that my friend Richard's group was conducting in a nearby village. Noble loved it. He got to observe the doctor as he was consulting and treating patients. |
 |
| Neighbor kids making jewelry. Always a favorite activity. |
 |
I was a little too excited to find wine available at this restaurant at the local hotel! This was a kid free night for Momma Carol and me and we were ready for it. I didn't order this whole bottle. Here's how the conversation went. ME: do you sell this wine by the glass or the whole bottle. OUR SERVER: yes. ME: Hmm, ok. Can I just order a glass of wine? OUR SERVER: yes. ME: Great, I'll have a glass of this. But just a glass right, not the whole bottle. OUR SERVER: yes, a glass. ME. Great. ME to MOMMA CAROL: uh oh, pretty sure, I'm getting that whole bottle.
What did I get? A glass and the entire bottle. =) Oh well. Luckily, some friends met up with us a little later so it didn't go to waste. |
|
|
| Look at these big kids! L-R: Edem, Peace, Princilla, Sika, Elikim, Emma |
 |
| While at one of the 'real' stores (aka. has walls and a door) I bought a tub of ice cream for a real treat. We all enjoyed on our last day. Frank- lover of all things Cardinals. Though I still don't think he understands they're a baseball team. |
|
|
| Sammy. Pausing from his soccer game. |
 |
| Sammy, Jr (Bernice's grandson), Edem, Peace, Patricia and the boy. We were in the middle of the busy market just after buying shoes. They were embarrassed because there were so many people walking by and looking at them getting their picture taken by a yevu. I was struggling to get smiles. I managed this by threatening to start yelling to get EVERY ONE'S attention in the market. See, I am definitely a mom! |
 |
| These two are always hungry! They may differ in size, but they're good buddies. |
 |
| Peace, Patricia, Princilla and I stopped in the parks and garden department to tour their beautiful plants. |
 |
| Sweet Awoenam. Big Momma from the US once again spoiled this girl. Thank you, Monica, for this fancy barbie complete with many dress options! |
 |
| He may be a big boy now, but I can still pick up this sleepy boy. |
 |
| To add to the excitement of travel in Ghana, the bridge over the lake is closed for the next couple of years and now a ferry is used to get vehicles across. This worked well for us on a weekday when we went to pick up Momma Carol from the airport. But on the weekends the traffic is horrible and the wait for the ferry is over an hour! Yikes. |
 |
| Momma Carol was the 'hostess' of the house and in the center of this party when the volunteers came. Big surprise. She got the kids and guests out dancing in the middle! |
No comments:
Post a Comment