Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Celebrity Yevus

My Mom says she feels like a celebrity in Ghana! Since we are two yevus (white people) we do get a lot of stares and people that say 'hi' to us. The kids like to yell out yevu, yevu loudly from across the street to get our attention and a wave (a thumbs up or peace sign is always a hit). So needless to say my mom loves the attention. Three months of having people yell yavu at you definitely wears off that feeling. I have the tendency to ignore it, while she is stopping to shake hands and talk!

It is weird to come back to Ghana with someone that has never been. Even though it has been over a year and a half since I was here, it feels at times like I never left. Things here still feel so natural to me (of course they didn't originally, it took some time to get to that point). So sometimes I forget how weird or different things actually are here for my Mom. Though she is really taking in everything so well, that at times I feel like she has been here before too!

We are getting to spend a great amount of time with the children at the orphanage which is wonderful! The fact that we are staying there allows us to see the children in so many new ways. When we wake up they are there to give us hugs and are excited about the day, at night we have been privileged enough to enjoy the children's drumming, singing, and dancing performances, and we can even put Elolo to bed when he falls asleep in our lap. The kids have an amazing amount of energy all hours of the day, so Momma Carol and I are exhausted by the end of the day or have to take naps during the day!

We are down to our last week and plan to make everyday count with the children. I can't even bear to think about when we leave. =(

No comments: