Thursday, March 25, 2010

It finally happened! SorryO!

I believe in one of my earliest posts from my time here as a volunteer, I mentioned that the streets are lined with drainage/sewer ditches and that some are covered but most are not. I think I also mentioned that my worst fear was that I would walk straight into one. Well, it has taken a while, but it finally happened....I stepped right into one last night! Hahahahaha! I’m fine which is why I am laughing about it!

It was dark out and I was near the market with six of the kids about to get in a taxi (we had just finished dinner after spending the afternoon playing some games and enjoying cold sodas at Freedom hotel-has the pool). Wallasy is always a little gentleman and opens the front door for me to get in the taxi. So last night he opens the door and just as I am saying thank you, I step forward and my left foot feels nothing beneath it. The taxi was parked right in front of this small hole, barely bigger than my foot and wouldn’t you know, I manage to step directly in the middle of it. My leg went down clear to my upper thigh!!!! I was fine, just very shocked. All the kids freaked out trying to help me up, the taxi driver was crawling across the seat and I was laughing! Also thanking the Lord that there was nothing wet or disgusting that I sank into! Phew! I was also thankful that I was hidden by the taxi door and on the side of the street with not many people, so I didn’t have a huge audience! I managed to get out of the hole with just a bruise on my thigh and two minor scrapes. However, the whole mishap alerted me to another Ghanaian phrase. The word ‘sorry’ or 'sorryo' is used when someone gets hurt, falls, or trips; similar to asking someone ‘are you okay.’ So I had every kid and the taxi driver saying ‘Sorry’ to me and when we got home, they of course told grandma right away so she would look at my leg and she said ‘sorry’ too!