Thursday, April 14, 2016

Prayers for my kiddos, Ghana time, and the Good Life

My dear Patience could use some prayer for school. She's been out of high school for nearly two years now and still isn't in a University or trade school. It is really unfortunate because she is extremely bright and a hard worker. Unfortunately, she performed poorly on one subject on her national exams, twice, and it has kept her from getting into nursing or teachers school (her first choices). She is now enrolled to start at a Imports/Customs training school (??). Classes were suppose to start in February but they have yet to begin. Please pray for what is ahead of her in terms of schools and careers. She has such potential, but Ghana lacks many opportunities for her. 

I would also really appreciate prayer for Frank. Yesterday morning I was asked to come to his boarding school for a 7 am meeting with the headmaster and one of his teachers. First, I love Frank which is why I agreed to travel to his school which is 45 minutes away in a small village at that crazy hour of the day! Second, Ghana time....errrr.....Ghana time! I was told specifically the meeting had to be at 7am so we could be done before school started at 8 and so I could get to work. I should have known better. I begged poor Richard to drive me to the school since it was so early and I didn't want to rely on getting a taxi, negotiate fairs or be late. We arrived and the whole school was starting mass, so we waited and waited and waited....until 9am! I was SO mad. Ghana time or not, I warned Richard that I was going to embarrass him and complain. But he was irritated too. Third, the meeting. The meeting was with ALL the teachers. It was Richard (thank you Lord for him being there!!!), Frank and me facing the headmaster, assistant headmasters and about ten teachers. Ugh...what did I walk into? Out of respect for Frank, all I will say is please be praying for emotional healing, peace and Jesus for this boy. He is a sweet, sweet boy (he recently told my mom that when he gets married one day, she will be sitting in the front row right behind him) but he has definite anger issues, is impulsive in his actions and has been exposed to the practices of his family's village where Ghana's traditional religion is still practiced. All of which were discussed at this meeting. After a 1 1/2 hour meeting, it was determined that we'll be looking for a new school for him after this school years ends (I was able to negotiate that they wait until the end of the year). =( But a new school won't really solve much. We need God's intervention and his guidance on how to best get Frank the help he needs. 

Patience and I went on a little shopping trip to the local bookstore. Definitely not Barnes and Noble. =) Frank requested a bible. That's a good start! 

She's been helping me way too much with cooking so I decided she deserved a dinner out at one of the local hotels. 
And my son. Who is definitely at the age where letting me take his picture is not cool. Boo =(
View from Frank's school where I waited and waited and waited. 
I realized I was only showing the dirt roads...which are the back roads and shortcuts I like to walk.
There really are lots of paved roads. Here's a pic from town.

And the crazy traffic. The road in front of us is just a line of taxis and tro tros as far as you can see
because they're all headed to the market.
I come home in the early afternoons to work from home so that I can be there when Elolo gets home. Here is a scene from my work space this week! It made me so happy to look up from my computer and see these kids chatting and playing games and Elolo eating his after school snack. I am so blessed! 

Elikim and Elolo washing Elolo's school uniform. African style! I started to do it myself and got as far as filling the bucket with water and soap before Elikim came and took it away from me. I didn't protest! It is hard work and they are white shirts. For a school on a dirt road. With a dirt school yard. And kids. White shirts? Why? Why?
Ahh...one of my favorite treats. FanChoco.  It's ice cream...kind of ... it is frozen chocolate milk that you eat straight from this bag just by biting off a corner and enjoying!




No comments: