![]() |
| Peace. |
This girl is kind of awesome. Peace. She's 18 and just graduated from high school. She has applications into the University of Ghana and the University of Cape Coast. We just have to wait for her national exam results (they'll be released in September); all her years of school, her grades, her involvement, being school prefect and winning the regional constitution contest....it all comes down to these test results. That's the only thing the University considers for admission (well...officially, that is).
She wants to study law. And she would be amazing at it. She is an advocate for justice. She has the constitution memorized! =) She is a leader, a hostess and she can adapt to many situations and environments. I could see her as an ambassador or involved with the United Nations (she was an ambassador of sorts to me when I first met these precious children).
A few weeks ago, I got to see her in action and I was so proud I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry. She got into a heated 'debate' with our taxi driver who apparently misheard us- twice-when we said where we were heading and then accused us all of lying (you know, because taxi rides are so fun here that we just like to fool the drivers into taking us on joyrides!). He was quite rude, a bit intimidating and gave us an earful. As Peace explained to him, respectfully, that he misheard us and that he shouldn't accuse us of lying, he told her to 'Shut Up!' Again, rude! But nope, she refused and told him so because she has freedom of speech as stated in their constitution! =) He looked to me to 'put her in her place' but I just laughed and told him, good luck....she's going to be a lawyer. It was great. Of course, arguing for arguing sake's isn't something I promote, but this was something special. This is a different culture. For a 'school girl' to stand up to someone older and especially a man was brave and bold. The two boys with us hadn't said a peep.
The hidden parts of her though are that she experienced great loss at an early age and the grief resurfaces with new stages of life (which is totally normal), has endured a lot of unfair treatment, and attempts to be 'perfect' often.
Last weekend at church she went forward to ask Jesus into her heart. It was powerful and full of all kinds of emotions! The pastor had the word 'ministry' for her, nothing more specific, but God would use her in a ministry for His Kingdom.........an ambassador for God. Let it be, Lord, let it be.
Please be praying for her heart, for healing, for peace for Peace =) and for her exam results to reflect all of her hard work throughout school and life.

2 comments:
Teary at this post. What a beautiful post about Peace!
Thanks, friend!
Post a Comment